Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Stir-Fry Is A Little Like Soup

This morning the hubby and me decided to go for breakfast in town and something terrible happened.  Our regular breakfast joint is CLOSED!  There are not to many options out where we live so it is pretty disappointing.  I don't usually mind making breakfast at home but once and a while it doesn't seem worth getting all the pots and pans dirty first thing in the morning.  We ended up going to another restaurant that isn't nearly as good in my opinion because the homefries are deep fried.  I hate when they do that!


Since breakfast was not so healthy I decided I would clear out some of the veggies in the fridge and make a stir fry.  I make a lot of stir fry because its quick and I love all the vegetables I can cram into them. Like soup I never make the same stir fry twice and its a little hard to follow any sort of recipe because I just use what I have and what I feel like putting in.  I'll try this time though, if anyone tries the recipe I hope it works out for you.


Stir Fry
Ingredients
Sauce
1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1-1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup homemade or lower-salt canned chicken broth
2 Tbs. dry sherry
1 Tbs. Asian chilli paste
1 Tbs. sliced scallions (white and green parts)
1 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs. hoisin sauce
1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
4 Thai chillies
Stir-Fry
1/2 lb. cubed tofu
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
Ground white pepper
1 cup red bell pepper strips
1 cup sliced mushroom
1 cup diced onion onions
1 cup snow peas
2 Tbs. very thinly sliced scallions
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
2 tsp. minced garlic
Large handful of Thai Basil
Directions
For the Sauce:
In a measuring cup, combine the cornstarch with the soy sauce, whisking to blend. Then whisk in the chicken broth, sherry, chilli paste, scallions, honey, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic and chillies.
For the Stir-Fry:
Heat a 12-inch skillet or a stir-fry pan over high heat for 2 minutes. Add 1 Tbs. of oil, swirl to coat the pan evenly, and heat until the oil just barely begins to smoke, about 30 seconds.
Add the tofu and sear for about 1 minute stirring occasionally
Add the onion and fry for about another minute. Add the red bell peppers, mushrooms, and snow peas and cook stir constantly for about 1 minute.
Add the scallions, ginger and garlic and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. If the bottom of the pan looks like it's starting to burn, add a little water and scrap the bottom of the pan
Pour the sauce into the pan, stirring well to coat evenly, and cook until it thickens.  Add the basil and stir just to heat through. Serve immediately of rice.
 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!