Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Can't Get Mail Anymore...and Blueberry Muffins

We live in an old home that is over a hundred years old on over an acre of property.  We moved here just over 2 years ago.  The drive to and from work take longer than it used to but we just love living out in the country.  Sometimes it smells like cow manure and sometimes it gets a little cold in our old house but we like it just fine. However, today someone ran into our mailbox and just drove away....grrrr.  And since it's winter and the ground is frozen it will be a little tricky getting a new post in the ground.  I made myself feel better by making some Blueberry Muffins, at least thats my excuse:)


Me and this recipe go way back.  I first started making these muffins when I was in second year at Queen's University.  Tonight I decided to bake them as a treat for some family members that have diabetes.  I calculated the nutritional information for the muffins since watching your sugar, fat and calories are an important part of a diabetic's diet.  They came in at only 145 calories, 4g of fat, 175mg of sodium and 7g of sugar.


Usually I am not a big fan of muffins because I don't find they are good enough for the 200+ calories they usually contain.  But these muffins I don't mind because they are delicious and well worth all 145 calories.



Blueberry Muffins


Ingredients
  • 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 5 tbsp Sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup blueberry (I often add extra because I love blueberries)
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400
  2. Grease 12 muffin tins and line with cupcake wrappers
  3. Sift into a large bowl the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
  4. In a small bowl combine yogurt, orange juice, egg, oil and vanilla.
  5. Make a well in the flour and add the wet mixture.
  6. Stir until just combined.
  7. Fold in blueberries
  8. Spoon batter into muffin tins, sometimes a sprinkle a small amount of sugar on top for a little extra crunch.
  9. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
ENJOY!

1 comment:

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!