Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sloppy Joe's


I’m heading off to the cottage for a few days so that means no blogging for about a week.  I had to squeeze in one more post before I left so here you have it : )

The hubby has been working late these days so I have been eating on my own.  I tried to come up with something that would easily reheat for him when he gets in the door.  What I came up with is Sloppy Joe’s.  Not the mix from the can at the grocery store but a homemade mixture.  I served mine with a side of salad but I have a feeling that the hubby will just eat two or three of them and skip the salad.

I picture this being a good kid friendly meal, you could even use little slidder buns for their tiny hands.  The flavour isn’t too strong but if you wanted to kick it up a little you could add extra hot sauce.  We topped ours off with some shredded cheddar cheese, delicious.

Sloppy Joe’s

Ingredients

·       1 tablespoon olive oil
·       12 ounces ground sirloin
·       1 (8-ounce) packages presliced cremini mushrooms
·       1 cup prechopped onion
·       3 garlic cloves, minced
·       1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
·       1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
·       2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
·       2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
·       1 tablespoon molasses
·       1/4 teaspoon salt
·       3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
·       1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
·       4 Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, toasted

Preparation

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add beef; cook for 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.

2. While beef cooks, place mushrooms in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until finely chopped. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to pan; cook for 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add tomato paste and next 5 ingredients (through salt) to pan; cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates. Stir in pepper and hot sauce. Spoon about 1 cup beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; top with top halves of buns.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!