Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Coconut Curry Noodles, WOW!

The hubby and I went for ice cream a few nights ago.  For some reason the dog always knows if we’ve had ice cream.  When we get home he’s licking his lips and gives us a good sniff.  He knows that we were up to something.  Usually we end up bringing home a small dish of vanilla ice cream and he eats it in about 30 seconds.  This time the cat decided he wanted to get involved in the action.  I couldn’t resist getting out my camera to get some shots of our crazy animals.  Arlo didn’t seem to mind that Link was joining him but definitely started eating faster in fear that the cat might eat his share.



 Link (Left), Arlo (Right)  I know the cat is bigger than most dogs, we still love him:)

Now back to what you’re all hear for….FOOD!  I hate to brag but this dish was fantastic.  Often when I have a recipe in mind it takes a few days before I get a chance to make it and when I do, it’s rarely as good as I imagined.  The hubby always tells me I’m crazy.  I think it’s like they say, It’s always better when someone else makes it.  Not this time, I LOVED this recipe!

The coconut curry flavour that soaks into the noodles is so delicious, I think I could eat the whole dish myself.  Feel free to switch up the veggie combination, use what you have in the refrigerator. Some other options are bean sprouts, green pepper, carrots or green beans.  Just be sure to slice everything up nice and thin so that everything cooks in the same amount of time.

Like most of my stir-dry recipes the prep time is a little longer but the cooking time is nice and quick.  Definitely give this one a try, you wont regret it!

Shrimp Singapore Noodles

Ingredients
  • 6 oz. fine dry rice vermicelli
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1-1/2 tbsp curry powder\
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • 2 Tbs. low-salt soy sauce
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp hot chile paste
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • ½ cup sliced mushrooms
  • ½ cup very thinly sliced celery, 1 large stalk
  • ½ cup thinly sliced yellow onion, 1 med-small onion
  • ½ cup very thinly sliced red bell pepper
  • ½ cup snow peas, ends trimmed
  • 4 scallions, root ends trimmed, white and green parts cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 lb. small shrimp, peeled and deveined

Tips:

If you can’t find small shrimp at the market, cut medium or large will do, you can cut larger shrimp into bit sized pieces. 

Feel free to substitute shrimp with chicken or pork cut into bit sized pieces

Directions

1.       Put the vermicelli in a heatproof bowl with enough very hot water to cover. Soak until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well. If you like, cut the noodles with a knife or kitchen scissors to shorter lengths (4 or 5 inches) at this time. Loosen the noodles and spread them on a dishtowel to dry while you proceed.

2.      Put 1 Tbs. of the oil in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the curry powder and half of the minced garlic and sauté for 20 seconds. Add the coconut milk, soy sauce, sugar, chile paste, and salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.

3.      Heat a large wok or sauté pan over high heat, add 1 Tbs. of the oil, and tilt the pan to coat. When hot, add the remaining garlic and the ginger. Stir-fry until the garlic is golden, 10 to 20 seconds. Add the celery, onion, red pepper, snow peas, scallions, and mushrooms. Stir-fry until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and set aside.

4.      Heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil in the pan over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp and stir-fry until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the noodles, vegetables, and soy-curry mixture. Toss to mix thoroughly and to coat noodles with the sauce. Serve immediately.

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!