Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Zucchini Takes Over The World!


It’s begun and I’m not sure if I’m ready for it yet.  The zucchini plants in my garden are in full bloom and that means a never ending supply of zucchini. With zucchini number one I made this tasty Chocolate Zucchini Bread. 

The recipe doubles nicely and I was able to make one for home and one for work.  I think it was good success because there is pretty much nothing left.  I had to tell the hubby to leave a slice or two for me the take photos of so that I could post the recipe for all of you.

The loaf is very chocolaty and I would love to tell you that you get a great “zucchini” flavour but I would be lying, but it’s in there I swear.  I could definitely tell that there was something other than the chocolate in there but it could have been the allspice and cinnamon.  The zucchini did help to keep the loaf moist and it’s a good excuse to say you’re getting some veggies out of eating a tasty dessert:)

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Yields one 9 x 5 x 3 loaf

 Ingredients

·         1 1/2 cups shredded raw zucchini (about 1/2 pound or 227 grams)

·         1 cup all-purpose flour

·         1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (not Dutch-processed)

·         1 tsp baking soda

·         1/4 ttsp baking powder

·         1/4 tsp salt

·         1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

·         1/4 tsp ground allspice

·         1/2 cup safflower or canola oil

·         1/2 cup granulated white sugar

·         1/2 cup light brown sugar

·         2 large eggs

·         1 tsp pure vanilla extract

·         3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Direction

1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Grease (or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray) a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. Set aside.

2.      Grate the zucchini, using a medium sized grater. Set aside.

3.      In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground allspice. Set aside.

4.      In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended (about 2 minutes). Fold in the grated zucchini. Add the flour mixture, beating just until combined. Then fold in the chocolate chips.

5.      Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and cool completely.

Makes one - 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf.

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!