Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Hit, Grilled Jerk Pork


Before I head out the door for work this morning I threw together the marinade for this Jerk Pork and let a tenderloin hang out in the flavourful spicy sauce for the day.  When I got home from work I put together the smashed fried potatoes.  I didn’t follow a recipe but I’ll break it all down for you.

Toss a package of mini potatoes in to a pot of cold water, about 12-15 potatoes total.  Put the pot over high heat and bring to a rolling boil.  Let them boil for about 12 minutes until the potatoes are tender but still slightly firm.  Rinse the potatoes with cold water so that they are cool enough to handle.  Using the back of a spatula press down on each potato and squish down making both sides flat.  Heat a pan over medium high heat and fry smashed potatoes for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.  I put the fried smashed potatoes in the toaster oven at 300F while I finished cooking the pork.

We ate every last bit of the pork and potatoes, although I did only make 1 tenderloin instead of the 2 that the recipe suggested.  I will definitely make the marinade again, maybe even try it on chicken some time.  The hubby loved the jerk pork, although I don’t think I have ever made pork tenderloin that he didn’t like.  The pork was cooked perfectly.  I always use a thermometer to check the temp for pork, I think it’s a key tool when cooking pork.  Always cook to 145F and let rest about 15 minutes. 

Grilled Jerk Pork

Ingredients

  • 3 scallions (white and green parts)
  • 1 tbsp thyme
  • 2 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp allspice
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tbsp molasses
  • 1 tsp scotch bonnet or habanero hot sauce
  • 2 pork tenderloin
Directions

  1. Combine scallions, thyme, salt, allspice, pepper, lime juice, molasses and hot sauce in a blender and blend until smooth.  Put marinade in a plastic bag with pork coating the pork well.  Marinate in the refrigerator least 2 hours or overnight.  Bring to room temperature before grilling.
  2. Heat grill to medium-high heat.  Once the grill is hot grease the grill to prevent sticking.  Turn heat down to medium and place pork on grill rack.  Cover the grill and cook 15-25 minutes, turning occasionally.  Insert a thermometer diagonally into the center of the pork, desired temperature is 145F.
  3. Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest about 15 minutes before slicing into 1 inch portions.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!