Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lasagna+ Cupcakes = Dinner

I’m still fighting off this nasty cold.  Yesterday was a struggle so dinner was a write-off, but I had the idea to make this dish a while back so I had everything ready in the freezer.  For the meat sauce I used some of the Bolognese sauce I made a few weeks ago and froze.  You can also use your favourite meat sauce or spaghetti sauce. Or you can cook 1 lb of ground beef, drain off the fat, return to the pan and add 1 can 28oz can of diced tomatoes and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Add some seasoning to the sauce until you think it tastes good.  I like to put a lot of garlic and a good palm full of dried basil.
You might get more or less than 12 lasagnas out of all the ingredients. I find quantities can vary from one muffin tin to the next.  I thought they were super cute and pretty darn tasty.  I served them with a spring mix salad dressed with lemon and olive oil.  The hubby liked to; despite the weird looks I got using won ton wrappers to replace lasagna sheets.  I thought that kids might like these; they would be able to pick them up with their hand and eat them just like a cupcake.

Lasagna Cupcakes
Ingredients

  • 1 package of round won ton wrappers, (you probably won’t need the whole package)
  • 1 ½ cup grated mozzarella, packed
  • 3 cups meat sauce
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan
  • 500g container 1% cottage cheese
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375F and grease 12 muffin tins with cooking spray.
  2. Combine Parmesan, cottage cheese and garlic in a bowl.
  3. Place a won ton wrapper in the bottom of each muffin tin.  Top with meat sauce to coat the wrapper, about 1 rounded tablespoons full.  Place a tablespoon of cottage cheese mixture over sauce then top with mozzarella.  Repeat with another layer of won ton, sauce, cottage cheese and mozzarella.  If you can try to squeeze in one more layer.  I only fit two layers; just make sure you end with mozzarella.  It will depend on how large your tins are.
  4. Bake 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes.  The longer you can wait the easier it will be to take them out of the tin
ENJOY!

2 comments:

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!