Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Happy Birthday! Lets Eat Toffee Squares

It’s Uncle Roger’s 50th Birthday party today.  It’s a tradition in my family to get together for everyone’s birthday and eat lots of good food and sing Happy Birthday.  Well sing is the wrong word for it, everyone “sings” as bad as they possibly can and as loud as they can.  It’s one of the worst things you’ll hear but it’s my family so it’s just right.  Whenever I am with the hubby’s family for a birthday celebration it feels really awkward to hear everyone singing as perfectly as they can.  That’s just not the way I know the song.  I’m certain that every young child in the family goes to a friend’s party for the first time and when it’s time to sing they feel like they are on another planet. 

That’s my family; definitely a unique bunch and I wouldn’t trade them for anything! 

Everyone usually brings their specialties; potato salad, macaroni salad, meatballs, beeferroni, rice, dill pickle dip, Caesar salad are just a few of the staples.  I went through a phase were I made spinach dip for a while.  Today I felt like changing it up with a dessert.  Uncle Roger has a sweet tooth so I hope he enjoys these Rice Toffee Bars.

A few months ago I discovered Golden Syrup.  It reminds me of maple syrup on a stick, the stuff you get at the sugar bush.  I think I mentioned before that it can be tricky finding golden syrup, but don’t worry I think you could get away with just using corn syrup or even maple syrup for this recipe.  I’m pretty sure that golden syrup would taste the best though.

Rice Toffee Squares

Ingredients

  • ½ cup butter
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
  • 3 tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
  • 397g can condensed milk
  • 4 cups Rice Krispies®
Directions

1. Grease and line an 8 inch shallow square tin with parchment paper.
2. In a large non–stick pan melt butter and sugars together gently, add the Lyle’s Golden Syrup and condensed milk and slowly bring to the boil stirring continuously, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Simmer for 1 minute then remove from the heat.
4. Add Rice Krispies fold together and pour into prepared tin. Leave to cool, then cut into small squares.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!