Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Build Your Own Dinner


This month’s edition of Fine Cooking magazine has a great section on Thai Curry.  The website also has a tool that will help you build your own Thai Curry recipe.  So, that’s what’s for dinner tonight!
I used Panang Curry Paste, coconut milk, beef, mushrooms, thai eggplant, green beans, kaffir lime leaves and thai basil.  Earlier in the week I looked for panang curry paste at the grocery store and had no luck.  On the way home from work I stopped at the Asian grocery store and found panang curry paste, I grab coconut milk, thai eggplant and thai basil. 
For a long time I would buy the cheapest can of coconut milk on the shelf, until I changed it up a little and bought the most expensive can.  It was worth it, the expensive stuff is creamier and more flavourful than the cheap stuff.  So, look for the can that’s $1.99 instead of $1.00. 
I keep kaffir lime leaves in the freezer and I already had some sliced beef, mushrooms and green beans.  All set to go!  I think I have mentioned before that the best way to tackle a stir fry is to prep all of your ingredient before you ever heat up the pan.  After about 15 minutes of chopping and measuring I was ready to go. 
One thing I will admit is that I don’t think I quite followed the recipe when it came to preparing the curry base.  I doubled the curry paste and I didn’t use chicken broth to thin out the base, but I did add about ½ of water instead.
Here’s the recipe that I built but feel free to visit Thai Curry over at Fine Cooking
Michelle’s Thai Panang Curry
1 13.5- to 14-oz. can coconut milk
1/4 cup Panang curry paste
1 cup lower-salt chicken broth, or homemade chicken or vegetable broth
2 Tbs. light brown sugar or light brown palm sugar; more as needed
1 tsp. fish sauce; more as needed
6 whole fresh or thawed frozen wild lime leaves (or substitute 1 tsp. finely grated lime zest)
1 lb. flank steak, strip steak, or sirloin, cut into 1/4-inch-thick bite-size slices
1 cup sliced button or cremini mushrooms (1/4-inch-thick slices)
1 cup bite-size green bean pieces
1 cup Thai eggplant wedges
a drizzle of coconut milk, for garnish
3/4 cup loosely packed fresh Italian or Thai basil leaves, more for garnish

Shake the can of coconut milk or stir it well (this creates a consistent thickness, since the fat often solidifies at the top of the can).
In a 3- to 4-quart saucepan or wok over medium heat, simmer 1/2 cup of the coconut milk, stirring occasionally, until reduced by about half, 3 to 5 minutes. It will get very thick and shiny and may or may not separate; either is fine.
Add the curry paste, whisk well, and cook, continuing to whisk, for 1 minute. Whisk in the broth, sugar, fish sauce, and remaining coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Add the green beans, eggplant, and whole lime leaves and continue to simmer, adjusting the heat as necessary. After 2 minutes, add the beef and button mushrooms and continue to simmer until everything is tender and cooked through, about 3 minutes more.
Remove the curry from the heat. Season to taste with more sugar and fish sauce, and add the basil. Transfer to a serving bowl (or serve right out of the pot). Remove the whole lime leaves or tell your guests to eat around them. Garnish with the coconut milk and basil. 
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!