Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Days Are Getting Longer

When I get home in the evening it's sunny outside.  The sun is just starting to go down but it's still out and it's only going to get better from here.

For dinner tonight I decided to use the rest of the happy chicken I had from the pasta a few nights ago.  Not far from our house is St.Albert Cheese Factory, so we stopped in and stocked up on a variety of cheeses.  When you put together the chicken and the cheese all thats missing is a fresh crust and tomato sauce and you have yourself a pizza. 

Since we don't live in the city it can be a little tricky getting a good takeout pizza so over the past few years I have been making my own. We think it works out just fine and often even better.  In the summer I like to use the BBQ to bake the pizza.  The BBQ gives a nice HOT temperature which helps the dough cook up nice and fully.  Once the weather is a little nicer I'll make one for you:) Until then you'll have to settle for this one...


As for toppings, I usually just add whatever is left hanging around in the fridge.  Chicken, bacon, tomato and jalapeno with a blend of cheddar and montery jack cheese.

I usually make a whole wheat dough not just because they say it's good for you but because we like it.  I find the whole wheat flour gives a great texture and flavor.

I usually bake the pizza in hot hot hot oven, 500F for about 12-15 minutes.  I make sure to keep the oven closed for at least 10 minutes then take a peak and go from there.

Here's the recipe for the dough...try out the whole wheat, it's a nice change

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Ingredients

  • 2 ¼ tsp quick rising yeast
  • ½ cup warm water
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • ½ cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
Directions

  1. Combine yeast, water, honey and oil in a large bowl and let rest for about 10 minutes until the mixture is foamy and bubbly.
  2. In a separate bowl combine both flours and salt mixing to incorporate the ingredients together well.
  3. Add the flour mixture to the yeast.  Using a wooden spoon stir until dough forms, incorporating all of the flour.  I use my stand mixer to do all of the work for me.  With a dough hook attachment mix on speed 4 for 4 minutes or until the dough comes together and forms a smooth ball.
  4. Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest until the dough doubles in size, at least 20 minutes.  I like to choose a nice worm part of the kitchen.   I often preheat my toaster oven to 200F, turn it off and place bowl inside.  
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!