Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Curry In A Hurry

I usually make this curry dish with tofu but on the weekend I picked up a package of hot Italian sausage so I sub’d it into my vegetable curry.  For all you vegetarians out there just use tofu instead of the sausage and you can switch out the fish sauce and use soya sauce.

I really liked the addition of Hot Italian sausage because it added to the spiciness of the curry.  If you don’t like things too hot you can use mild sausage and cut back on the chillies.  If I plan ahead I usually pick up eggplant and snap peas to add in. 

Red Curry Vegetable Stir Fry

Ingredients

  • 3 Hot Italian Sausages
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 medium potato, diced into ½” cubes
  • 1 large carrot, sliced
  • 3  tbsp red curry paste
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 4-6 lime leaves
  • 5-6 red eye chillies
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • Handful of Thai Basil, the more the better
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450F. Bake sausages for 20-30 minutes until done, rotating after 15 minutes.  When sausage is cooked slice into 1” pieces.
  2. Once all of your ingredients are prepped and ready to go heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet until shimmering.  Add onion potato and sausage and stir fry for about 3 minutes until onions are soft. 
  3. Add curry paste and heat for another minute.  Add red pepper and carrots and cook another minutes.
  4. Add the coconut milk, 1 cup of water, brown sugar and lime leaves.  Bring to a boil and simmer 12 minutes until carrots and potatoes are tender.  Stir in fish sauce and serve over steamed rice.
On a final note, I thought it might be fun for people to request a recipe.  If there is something you've always wanted to make or just want to see how my version of your favorite recipe turn out, let me know by commenting to this post.  One week from today I'll write all of your suggestions on a piece of paper and draw one.  That's assuming there is more than one suggestion.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!