Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Big Fat Greek Pita


Tonight’s dinner was fast, fresh and delicious.  I’ll definitely keep this one in the books for one of those hot humid summer days.  As I was writing out the recipe I thought of a few other ingredients you could toss into the salad, red onions, fresh mint and even diced roasted chicken.
I made a side of fried potatoes to go with the pita.  I love making homefries! It’s kinda like making soup, they’re never the same way twice.  This time I diced them into 1 inch cubes and tossed them in some melted butter over medium heat.  They took about 20 minutes to cook through and I give them a toss every 5 minutes.  Be sure to use a good non-stick pan otherwise the potatoes will stick to the pan.
Greek Salad Pita
Ingredients
  • 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
  • 1 cup cucumber, chopped
  • 1 cup feta, diced
  • ½ cup kalamata olives, halved
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 pitas, cut in half
  • 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
Directions
  1. In a medium bowl add olive oil, vinegar, oregano, and zest and juice of 1 lemon.  Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Add tomato, cucumber, feta and olives to the bowl.  Toss to coat all of your veggies and let rest until you’re ready to eat.
  3. Carefully open each pita half.  Add a handful of lettuce and scope in as much of your veggie salad you can fit into the pocket. 
  4. Continue with remaining pitas and serve.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!