Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Butter Chicken, Ya That's Right


Who doesn’t like butter chicken.  It took me a while to build just the right recipe.  I think this one is getting pretty close and is better than a few butter chicken dishes I have had at Indian restaurants.  I find that these days a lot of them us a sauce that I am pretty certain comes out of a jar.  They taste tomatoy and not enough of a nice and toasty spice flavour. 
I do have to be honest though, I didn’t actually make this dinner.  The hubby didJ   Although I have made this same recipe in the past I just didn`t feel like cooking this particular night and he offered to make it for me. I didn`t argue and it was well worth it!  We even had enough left over to bag and freeze the leftovers for another night.
The ingredient list is long so that can be a little intimidating at times.   But a lot of them are just spices and once you get through them the rest of the work is mostly simmering and letting all of the flavours come together.  You`ll love it, especially if you can convince the hubby to make it for youJ
Butter Chicken
Ingredients
Directions
1.   Stir nuts, garam masala, coriander, and chili in a small lightly heated frying pan. Toss until nuts are lightly browned.
2.  Put nut mixture in food processor and process until very smooth, like peanut butter. If you find it is too thick add a bit of oil to loosen up the mixture. Add garlic, ginger, vinegar, paste and yogourt. Process until well combined.
3.  Put chicken into mixture and mix thoroughly. Allow chicken to marinate for 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
4.  Melt butter in a large saucepan, cook onion with cinnamon and cardamom until browned. Add chicken mixture and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.  Add paprika, crushed tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
5.  Remove cinnamon and cardamom (if you can find it). Stir in cream and green pepper, simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve over basmati rice with naan.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about what you've read on my blog. Let me know if you plan on trying or have tried a recipe....ENJOY!